Line printer spooler 4.3 SunOs

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Sat Jan 28 16:15:25 AEST 1989

>I am currently looking for a copy of Ralph Campbell's manual
>on 4.3 Unix line printer spooling system.  There is a reference
>made to this manual in the May 1988 Sun 4.x manuals.

Reference, heck, the manual *itself* is in the SunOS 4.x manuals.  Check
out the "System & Network Administration" manual, in "Part 4:
References", where it appears as chapter 19, "4.3BSD Line Printer
Spooler" (starting "This chapter is based on the '4.3BSD Line Printer
Spooler Manual' by Ralph Campbell...").

>Campbell supposedly has written a manual on the workings and the structure
>of the line printer spooling system.

Yup, and that's what chapter 19 of the aforementioned document is.

>What I would like, is a machine readable form of this manual.  If someone
>at UCB. could either send me a copy or e-mail to me of how I could
>possibly acquire this manual it would be very much appreciated.

If you have a 4.3BSD distribution (i.e., including source), the
machine-readable form of the manual is in the directory
"/usr/doc/smm/06.lpd".

That's what Sun started with to produce the document in question,
although it was rewhacked for the Sun macro packages and changed to
reflect Sun modifications (e.g., adding the "ms" capability).