which 386 UNIX?

Martin J Brown-Jr MJB at cup.portal.com
Fri Jan 20 18:57:39 AEST 1989

I have acquired a Everex 386/20 Step with 2megs of ram and a 43meg Priam.
At this time, I have also acquired Windows/386 and Excel, both v2.1. Compared
to the Amiga with 2.5megs that I have been running the last couple of years,
Windows just doesn't cut it. Since my software outlay for this system is
minimal at this point, I'm considering moving to a UNIX os.

I realize that the hardware as configured at this point just barely meets the
minimal requirements for a single user UNIX system, but I intend to increase
to 4megs of ram and about 100megs of harddisk in the next six months or so,
at the outside. At that time, I will probably add one or two terminals.

This will be my first experience with UNIX.

My question is, what UNIX to get? I had been leaning towards SCO over
Microport, but recently Interactive has caught my attention. I realize that
Everex is/will be distributing ENIX, but I think I'll stick to something that
has been on the market and been tested. Considering the hardware, and my in-
experience with UNIX, which UNIX would be most suitable? One thing, I will
want to run a few ms-dos programs under UNIX, particularly Excel.

I realize that this question has been asked and answered before, but I was
unable to find any archived msg collections answered the questions I am
asking.

Any comments and/or opinions would be appreciated! Thanx for your time.

                             - MJB -