ChaosNet on Sun-4s?

Robert Maier rsm at amethyst.ma.arizona.edu
Sun Jan 29 14:50:14 AEST 1989

In article <493 at aipna.ed.ac.uk> alex at eusip.ed.ac.uk (Alex Zbyslaw) asks:

>Does anyone know if there is an implementation of ChaosNet (sp?) which
>runs on Sun-4s?  Failing that one that runs under 4.3BSD + NFS on a Vax,
>or SunOs 4.0 on a Sun-3?

I don't have one for Sun-4's, but I've had no difficulty porting an
old (pre-4.2BSD) MIT Unix Chaosnet package to Sun-2's and Sun-3's.

The only things that had to be fixed were

(1) byte-ordering problems

	Some Chaos packets carry word data, and do so in a
	little-endian way.  Also the Chaos packet headers were
	obviously designed by someone whose experience with big-endian
	machines was limited.

(2) problems in using kernel mbufs for packet storage and reassembly.

	Sun has done a few things in the mbuf area, requiring some
	minor modifications to the Chaos code.

As soon as I get Sun-4 source (not to mention a long-promised Sun-4
for my desk) I'll see about porting the MIT package to Sun-4's too.
I should suspect that it would be even easier to port it to 4.3BSD on
a Vax.

The package used to be available via anonymous FTP from eddie.mit.edu,
in the /usr/chaos directory.  Some time back the folks on eddie
blocked off /usr from anonymous access, though.  Try appealing to
root at eddie.mit.edu....

--
Robert S. Maier
INTERNET: rsm at amethyst.ma.arizona.edu
SNAIL: Dept. of Math.; Univ. of Arizona; Tucson, AZ 85721; USA
PSTN: +1 602 621 6893 / +1 602 621 2617		BITNET: maier at arizrvax
UUCP: ..{allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!rsm