How to open more than 64 files on HP-UX

Jack Campin jack at cs.glasgow.ac.uk
Tue Jan 24 01:32:31 AEST 1989

TEX7%ICNUCEVM.BITNET at icnucevm.cnuce.cnr.it (Berlen Oronzo) wrote:
>  I need to be able to open more than 64 files (real files + FIFOs) on a
>  HP 8xx running HP-UX 6.0; I could also recompile peaces of the OS to reach
>  this goal.  Does anyone know if it is possible and how to do it?

Not very ambitious.  Those of us who work with persistent object stores would
love it if the OS could keep, say, 100,000 files (one per active object) open
simultaneously.  Does any Unix, running on any machine architecture, make this
even remotely possible?

--
Jack Campin  *  Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND.    041 339 8855 x6045 wk  041 556 1878 ho