Unix xmas tree

Mark A. Heilpern heilpern at ibd.BRL.MIL
Wed Jan 4 00:17:30 AEST 1989

In article <47800020 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> gupta at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I received this "cute" file last week and when you do a 'cat' or 'more' on
>it then it'll draw a christmas tree and a train circling it. It only works
>on vt100s and I've been trying to figure out how it works. Anyone familiar
>with this?
The program was [most likely] originally written in 'C', or any other
language that makes use of the curses library for screen manipulation.
Once written and compliled, the output was redirected into a file, while
the user had TERM=vt100 set. [That is why it only works on a vt100.]

The industrious user may want to examine the file by dumping it, or even
using an emacs which displays control codes as ^A rather than it's
affect. Here, you will find a huge series of control codes which instruct
the cursor to go in 'non-standard' directions, i.e. up, down, & backwards.

Happy Hunting!
--