Need HELP recovering files from tar damage

Daniel Wu dwu at nunki.usc.edu
Sat Jul 15 11:21:26 AEST 1989

OOPS! OOPS OOPS! OOPS!

I was trying to load a file from the cartridge tape recently, by
typing
		tar -xvf /def/rst0 ./doc/README

However, what I ACTUALLY typed was:
		tar -cvf /def/rst0 ./doc/README

That immediately corrupted my cartridge tape.  Instead of extracting
the file README from the tape, it tried to copy a non-existent file
./doc/README from by directory onto the tape.

Now what do I do?

Am I completely out of luck, or is there some way to reconstruct whatever
files were on tape?  If anyone can offer help or suggestions, I'd really
appreciate it.  I need help FAST!!

Daniel
dwu at castor.usc.edu
	Daniel Wu		ARPA: dwu at castor.usc.edu
				UUCP: ? dwu at castor.UUCP ?
	I'm not very familiar with the backbone sites this