Help with RSH error status return

Steve Scott sscott at camdev.UUCP
Thu Jul 13 23:54:09 AEST 1989

If this is too simple (or I should've done a better job
of RTFM) please e-mail responses.  I've got a pretty thick
skin

Anyway,

Assume that I have a simple Bourne shell script (called
dumb_script) on machine B which has one line:

           exit 3

Immediately after running this, echo $? of course says 3

No problem.

But, now assume that another host machine (say A) uses

           rsh B dumb_script

An echo $? after this script always returns a 0 (assuming
that rsh was able to complete properly).  I understand
all of this.  But what I WANT to do is to have

           rsh B dumb_script

have a return error status equal to the return error status
of the program which ran on machine B (that is, 3 in this
case)

Any hints/tips/ideas/pointers to the proper man pages/etc?

--
Steve Scott            UUCP: {killer|texbell}!camdev!sscott
Motorola, Inc.         Telephone : 1-817-232-6317