overkill (was Re: How can a login script determine if the session is remotely logged in?)

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Tue Jul 25 01:57:42 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jul22.222552.11416 at ctr.columbia.edu>, seth at ctr (Seth Robertson) writes:
| In article <1448 at tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US> rtm at tellab5.UUCP (Roberto Michelassi) writes:
| >
| >I am currently a ksh user running on a Sun 3/60 with SunOS 4.0 and would like
| >to add a feature to my .profile or .kshrc file that would update the tool
| >header of the window to display the message "RLOGIN" when I remotely log into
| >another machine.
| Nothing easier!!!

heh heh

| (Of course I can't tell whether it is telnet or rlogin...)

Sure you can.  If you get a TERM type, you're rlogin, if not, itza
telnet.  But, the original request was for rlogin, so read on....

| : {$tty:=`tty`}
| : {$pty:=`basename $tty`}
|
| ##
| # Is this a pty (e.g. not console, dialup, or serial port
|
| if echo $pty | grep ttyp > /dev/null 2>&1  ## Note Yuck!  Echo|grep??
| ## Also, if you have lots of ptys, you will need to search for
| ## more pseudo terminals than ttyp (e.g. ttyr ttys, etc.)
|
|  then
| # Is this a login shell? (e.g. not su, not suntools, not emacs)
|   if basename $0 | grep -e "-ksh" > /dev/null 2>&1  ## Less yucky than before
|    then
|     echo This is a a remote session.
|     echo That is because is on a pseudo-terminal and was started
|     echo by login.  \(But not necessarily a rlogin\)
|    fi
|  fi

Too many processes... try:

case "$TERM" in
sun)
	case `tty` in
	*ttyp*)
		/usr/5bin/echo "\\033]lRLOGIN:`hostname`\\033\\\\";;
	esac;;
esac

NEVER EVER EVER make your .profile slow!  You'll regret it, over and
over again.

Just another UNIX (and now Sun) hacker...
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA                           |