help with WANs

Gregory S. Baber gregb at dowjone.UUCP
Fri Jul 28 22:49:34 AEST 1989

I am posting this for a friend. Please direct all mailed responses to:
	uunet!dowjone!georgeh

Thanks,  gregb

  We are looking to implement a WAN over satellite to seven remote sites.
  Each site would have primarily Dec and Sun computers on a single ethernet
  running Decnet and TCP/IP. We have decided that multi-protocol routers in
  a modified star might be the best way to go. Presently we are
  investigating Cisco, Proteon, and Wellfleet routers as a possible
  solution. Our primary requirements are that the routers support at least
  decnet and TCP/IP, handle up to T1 speeds in the future, and handle
  satellite delays and bandwidth efficiently. We presently have decnet
  routers at several sites so we are also investigating TCP/IP to decnet
  gateways as an alternative, though with little success.

  Any suggestions for the above scheme, first hand experience, pros and
  cons of specific hardware or alternate solutions would be greatly
  appreciated.  Vendor literature also welcome.

  Thanks, George

--
Reply to: Gregory S. Baber		Voice:	(609) 520-5077
   Dow Jones & Co., Inc.		UUCP:	..princeton!dowjone!gregb