Problem with tapedriver (vax750,ts-driver,bsd43)

Cliff Marcellus cliff at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Thu Jul 20 23:34:36 AEST 1989

In article <519 at bsiao.UUCP>, tvdl at bsiao.UUCP (Timo van der Laan) writes:

> Configuration:  Vax 11/750 running Bsd4.3,
> 		Tapeunit Kennedy model 9400, driver ts (vaxuba).
>
> We have a problem with our tapedrive. Sometimes when writing a tape
> (at 6250 bpi) the device hangs at a random place.
> From ps it can be seen that the tar command is waiting on rtsbuf.
> The only way to cure the problem is to put the device offline and
> try again.

I strongly suspect that you have a hardware problem.  I've been running a
Kennedy 9400 (TDQ-III controller) on a VAX-11/750 under both 4.2 and 4.3BSD
since 1984.  I've never encountered any form of hanging on this unit...

Hope this points you in the right direction -- good luck!

Cliff Marcellus                UUCP     : {any backbone}!calgary!ssg-vax-a!cliff
Institute for Space Research   DOMAIN   : cliff at ssg-vax-a.phys.UCalgary.CA
Dept of Physics and Astronomy  SPAN     : CANCAL::CLIFF
The University of Calgary                 "If it's not fun, don't do it!"