Dumper/Backup system on UNIX

Thomas J Hacker hacker at egrunix.UUCP
Sun Jul 30 07:58:44 AEST 1989

Hello!! I'm working on a dumper system for a 4.3 BSD, and
was wondering if anyone has anything better than backup?

What it looks like I might end up writing is a dumper
system that will start with a pool of tapes, each with a
unique id (tape #), and the dumper will keep a table that
associates each tape with a particular dump level of a
particular partition on a particular day/date.  In
addition, I can have a delta time that will expire old
tapes and return them to the pool.  That way, I can write
a restore program that can tell the operator which tape to
grab for restoring a file.  We are probably getting a big
Ultrix system here soon, so does anyone know if such
facilities exist on the Ultrix? (as well as BSD4.3??)

-Please respond by E-MAIL, and I'll summarize and post

Thomas Hacker               ...Weave a circle round him thrice,
Systems Programmer             And close your eyes with holy dread,
Oakland University	       For he on honeydew hath fed, --"Kubla Khan"
hackertj at unix.secs.oakland.edu And drunk the milk of Paradise. -- ST Coleridge