IBM RT to AS 400 Connection - The Results

James E. Ward f0057 at uafhp.uucp
Sat Jul 1 03:53:46 AEST 1989

In article <226 at psgdc>, rg at psgdc (Dick Gill) writes:
< Early this month I posted the following request:
< |
< |A client of ours has a brand new IBM AS-400 that they want to
< |interface with an existing uucp network.  The objective is to be
< |able to transfer files between the remote unix machines and the
< |400 in a smooth, simple and reliable way. For a number of
< |reasons, some sound and some not-so, an IBM-RT is the machine of
< |choice for the unix/400 connection.
<
< Then lightning struck; I stumbled upon a product  called
< Handshake III from a vendor we have been doing business with for
< years! This hardware/software product is designed specifically
< to connect unix boxes (they support 6 or 7 popular ones) to IBM
< System/3x and AS 400 computers.  Capabilities include unattended
< file transfer as well as login sessions on the AS 400.

< Dick Gill     Professional Solutions Group   (703)761-1163   ..uunet!psgdc!rg

Hmmmm, we are planning a similar connection: AS/400, RT, and PC clones using
the RT as a file server for the PCs, tying the whole mess together with Token
Ring.  Is this not a valid solution?  IBM assures me that everything will work
fine, but what else would they say?  Any input from other people approaching
this problem?  Any comments or help would be much appreciated, and thanks in
advance...
#  James E. Ward, The Planet Earth, Ltd.    |                                 #
#  ...uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!f0057 at uafhp  |  Those who speak, do not know.  #
#  harry!uafhp!f0057 at ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu    |  Those who know, do not speak.  #
#  Telenet:  f0057 at 130.184.7.103            |                       Lao Tsu   #