Is there any wordprocessor in unix

Norman S. Soley soley at moegate.UUCP
Tue Jul 11 23:43:48 AEST 1989

In article <8161 at bsu-cs.bsu.edu> dhesi at bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In article <1044 at kuling.UUCP> irf at kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') writes:
>>We bought the UNIX release of 'WordPerfect' for one of our HP9000/300
>>boxes running HP-UX.
>
>Major nit:  It is theoretically *impossible* for a general terminal-
>independent version of WordPerfect to exist under UNIX.  After
>extensive research I have determined that WordPerfect *cannot exist*
>unless you have all or most of F1..F10, Ctrl-F1..Ctrl-F10,
>Alt-F1..Alt-F10, and Shift-F1..Shift-F10 keys available.  Since most
>terminals used for UNIX do not have such keys at all, the conclusion
>follows.  What you used under UNIX may have been called WordPerfect,
>but it was something else.

Hmm.. seems funny but I've got a software package here that has a label on it
that says WordPerfect, the address in the manual is the same as the one in the
PC manual and golly gee, it certianly feels like WordPerfect 4.2 to me.
It works on my VT102 terminal just fine thanks, sure the command keys have
moved around a little, ALT-F1 becomes PF1,Keypad1 and my extensive research
indicates that yes there are some terminals that just aren't up to the task.

I'm disappointed that Rahul, who usually seems to know what's going on, can
be so wrong with so much authority. Then again it used to be widely believed
that it was theoretically *impossible* for the honey-bee to fly...
--
  Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
soley at moegate.UUCP  or if you roll your own:  uunet!attcan!ncrcan!moegate!soley