vi case-change summary (a bit long)

Bernhard Kraft berni at cadlab.UUCP
Thu Jul 13 02:06:44 AEST 1989

In article <1061 at gtx.com> rich at gtx.com (Rich Holloway) writes:

>    This will convert the current word to lower case (caveats below):
>
>	map ~!w "cdei:s/\(^V^[pa\)/\L\1/^V^[F:Pl"cd3f/@c^V^M

This vi-keymap/macro works well, but I don't understand why?
I have tried to put any piece of text into a name buffer, before
vi started (by $EXINIT or .exrc), but it never really works.

For example:

   map g OInsertedText^["gdd

This was an attempt to put a text into the buffer g , when I type g.

But when I typed g the text is inserted and deleted. In the buffer g
was nothing, when I typed "gP, but it was filled with the InsertedText,
when I typed the ex-command :pu g.  After I have typed the ex-command a
"gP printed out the InsertedText, as expected.

Other attempts to fill text into a line by ex-command in EXINIT or .exrc
caused a bus error.  For example the lines

InsertedText
.
d g

in .exrc.