ps gives error

Bill Collins collins at unmvax.unm.edu
Thu Jul 13 03:52:00 AEST 1989

In article <209 at larry.sal.wisc.edu> cathy at larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) writes:
> I am having problems tracking down a problem.  That
> we appear to have every afternoon.  When I try to do
>  ... [can't allocate memory for commands]

If you are running DECwidnows perhaps you should look for masive leaks in
the X server and clients.  As you use DECwindows, memory leaks and they just
soak up memory.  If it is, DEC should have taken care of most if not all of
the memory leaks in the comming release.

> a ps I get not enough memory.  When I do a df I get
Ps allocates a bit of memory to show processes.  Its one of the first to fail.

> not enough core.  I don't see anything in crontab that
Yes, df does some allocation too.  Its not cron.

> is causing the problem.  I can do a pstat but I don't
> know what I am looking for.
Look for low virtual memory, processes crashing due to memory shortages, etc.

Most people who run it around here just reboot.  Some go to X11 from MIT.
Some cut usage down on DECwindow displays.  Some just suffer and will wait
until the next version gets here.

Have fun,
	Bill
			collins at unmvax.unm.edu