Debugging ksh scripts

ihor.j.kinal ijk at cbnewsh.ATT.COM
Sat Jul 1 06:38:24 AEST 1989

I'm trying to debug an error from a chain of about 6 shell scripts
[one calls the next, and each call a setup script].  The error
only occurs when a certain execution path is chosen, but unfortunately,
I can't discover why that does make a difference.

I believe the error is coming from the setup script, but when I
I turn on execution trace in that script, the error seems to go away.

The error is :
[82]:	test - argument expected

I've looked at lines 82 in my scripts, and I can't spot any test
statement or of course, the alternative [ ] .

Questions:

1)  is the line number indicative of the line number - or can comments or
something else change that line number????.

2). is there any way to force the script to identify itself by name,
and/or context when it encounters an error?

3).  Can something else produce this error message, except what I expect??
{ i.e., test or [ ] }?

I'm using ksh 86,[ on a HP 850]
 although a version of the latest 88 might be available.

Any thoughts are appreciated - this has been driving me bonkers!!!
		[well, at least it's an excuse ]

Thanks,

Ihor Kinal
[att!violin!ijk]