Commas in /etc/remote

Kenny Crudup kencr at haddock.ima.isc.com
Thu Jul 6 04:29:21 AEST 1989

Well, I RTFM'ed, and when that didn't work, played with it a little. No go.

What I need to do is put commas in the pn= field of /etc/remote, but I don't
want them to get interpreted as separate numbers; our modems use commas as
a two second pause, and I have a couple of numbers that go thru electronic
switchboards, so that the AT-command looks like this:

ATDT9W18005551212,,,,,,,,,,123,

or, dial the number, wait 20 sec (usually long enough), and then touch-tone
the extension, and wait s'more before trying for a carrier. (I *hate* this
method- you oughta see the L.sys/Systems files I had to hack up to make it
work for uucp :-( ). If I try to put the commas in the pn= field, tip just
tries to dial the other numbers on timeout.

Any ideas? I can probably use any form of tip-generated pause, as long as
it puts them in the right place.

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Contractor, Interactive Systems, Cambridge MA
StarTrekV 3'rd favorite line: "Oh yeah?! Beam THIS up, pal!!" - D. Letterman
{encore, harvard, spdcc, think}!ima!haddock!kencr  kencr at haddock.ima.isc.com