Hard-linked directories

CCEL ccel at community-chest.uucp
Fri Jul 28 04:30:11 AEST 1989

Hello all ..

I ran into a strange problem while installing nethack on our
Sun 3/60 ... it seems there are two files, perm and safelock,
that are linked and shared between the users currently using
nethack.  When I first brought up nethack, these two files
were directories. Apparently the original directory was hard
linked to another directory, and now I can't delete either one. I found
I could mv them with no problem, so I mv'ed one of them and
nethack promply re-created it. So I renamed all three of these
problem directories junk, junk1 and junk2, and have tried all
the "normal" ways to get rid of them (rm, rmdir, rm -r, unlink).

They all share the same i-node, so I did a clri to wipe out their
i-node, but they are still around ... what should I do next?

Thanks

Randy Tidd
MITRE-McLean CCEL Lab
rtidd at mitre.arpa