rcp as guest

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Mon Jul 24 16:58:40 AEST 1989

[note that rcp and rsh here refer to the 4BSD utilities]

In article <113700007 at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> ddgg0881 at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>... To use rcp, though, I have use the same logon on my local machine
>as I have on the remote machine ....

Someone else has already suggested using rsh and tar instead of rcp.
To complete the answer, though, it is possible (even easy) to rcp files
across different account names.  For instance, although I am
`chris at umdhost.umd.edu', I am `torek at ucbhost.berkeley.edu'; to copy
files between here and Berkeley, I could run

	[umd1] rcp torek at ucbhost.berkeley.edu:files dir
	[umd2] rcp files torek at ucbhost.berkeley.edu:dir
	[umd3] rlogin ucbhost.berkeley.edu -l torek
	[ucb1] rcp chris at umdhost.umd.edu:files dir
	[ucb2] rcp files chris at umdhost.umd.edu:files

Note that for this to work, chris at umdhost.umd.edu must be in the
.rhosts file of torek at ucbhost.berkeley.edu (for rcp run from umdhost),
and torek at ucbhost.berkeley.edu must be in the .rhosts file of
chris at umdhost.umd.edu (for rcp run from ucbhost).  (These entries tend
not to be there, for security reasons.  We will all run Kerberos soon
and use a different approach entirely anyway.)

Note also that 4.2BSD had a different syntax: rather than
`me at host:file', one had to write `host.me:file'.  The period was found
by scanning backwards from the colon, so that `host.long.name.me'
worked.  Of course, this meant that even where one had the same login
name on hosts in different domains, one had to type one's own
name---running like

	rcp ucbhost.berkeley.edu:file dir

would try to connect to `ucbhost.berkeley' as user `edu', rather
than `ucbhost.berkeley.edu' as user `$USER'.