Using programs that write directly to video with Unix's dos command

Frank Rahmani fmr at cwi.nl
Tue Jul 25 14:06:22 AEST 1989

> Hi,
> I am wondering what would happen if a person who remotely logged in tried
> to use a program that wrote directly to the screen with the dos command.  Any
> insights would be helpful.  Oh, we're using SCO 386 Xenix 2.3.1.
Let me tell you what happens on Sun workstations (which is essentially the
same matter, just another hardware), especially in a RFS-environment where
you can't enable remote logins:This is the only piece of REAL FUN in the
UNIX world, starting some screen-exploding,letters-flow-off-the-screen or
tilt-the-screen programs on somebody elses workstation (with the new SPARC's
even let the workstation talk some nonsense to the unwary user).But beware,
the first time I let the letters flow off somebody's screen, he called me
(the operator) that his workstation had died and being unaware of the
success of my action dummy-me really started disconnecting it to bring it
down to the repair area. Should work on DOS, eh sorry SCO boxes too, once
you write the assembly code.
regards
fmr at cwi.nl
--
It is better never to have been born. But who among us has such luck?
Maintainer's Motto: