How to speed up uucp with Telebits(only getting 800 chars/sec )

Rick Adams rick at uunet.UU.NET
Fri Jul 14 12:53:09 AEST 1989

In article <9585 at alice.UUCP>, debra at alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) writes:
> Uunet handles lots of communications simultaneously. This means it must
> be under constant heavy load, implying low throughput. The limit is in
> uunet and its connection to the modems, not in the modem connection.

God, don't you just love unsupported guesses presented as facts?

Let's try and deal with facts instead of inuendo.

There are basically 3 places there could be a problem:

1) The sending system

2) the modems themselves (includes getting a lousy quality phone line)

3) The receiving system.

In my (quite extensive) experience, the probabilites are about 85%
receiving system, 10% modems and 5% sending system.

Typically the problem is with the receiving system. E.g. just
because your system supports an interface speed of 19.2 kbps,
has absolutely nothing to do with its ability to receive data
at that speed (DEC systems are especially bad about this as are
most PCs without "smart" IO cards)

A relevant fact is that uunet was under CPU powered for
about 3 weeks in June. (Sequent didnt deliver the board that they promised)
but was finally upgraded on July 3 to 8 processors.

When compaining about problems its useless unless you work with facts.
Saying "my modem throughput sucks" is useless information. Saying
"my modem throughput sucks when I can 8765055 between 1am and 5am PDT
from Islip, NY" can actually elicit useful information.

The only thing more useless is uninformed third parties speculating
on the orignal useless data and presenting their speculation as fact.

(Note that its is also considered normal practise to send mail to
the postmaster of the site when you are having repeated problems.
There may be a real problem that they are not aware of.)

--rick