Is there any wordprocessor in unix

Wolf Paul wnp at attctc.DALLAS.TX.US
Tue Jul 11 23:33:14 AEST 1989

In article <268 at arnor.UUCP> uri at arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:
>From article <10507 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, by gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn):
>> If you have the tools and know how to use them
>> my opinion is that the standard UNIX approach beats WYSIWYG hands down.
>
>It doesn't seem to work for end users at all, and some programmers (as I
>noticed) also don't reject additional convenient tools, no matter - can
>the job be done with conventional tools or not.

It doesn't work for endusers because the sysadmin isn't doing his job.

It took me all of fifteen minutes to write a shell script tieing  together
vi and troff so as to produce a word processor my wife feels comfortable with.
And she's no hacker.

There is nothing wrong with using available tools even if they are not part
of the standard UNIX environment -- the problem is with your tone of poo-pooing
those who feel that the standard UNIX tools are adequate.  It likely takes as
much work to set up a DOS-style wordprocessor on a UNIX system as it does to
set up troff fonts, so your preference is not intrinsically better or more
intelligent than sticking with UNIX tools.

UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp at attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs at texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".