TAR program for large filesystems

Curtis Generous generous at dgis.daitc.mil
Thu Jul 20 04:05:51 AEST 1989

I need to backup 15+Gbytes (my home directory :-) of data in a `portable`
fashion.  What I mean by portable is that I should be able to retrieve data
from a tape created on one machine unto another machine.  TAR format on
a 1/2", 9 track tape seems to be as portable as it gets, but I have never
come across a version that supported multiple volumes.  The only utility that
supports multi-volume (that I know of) is dump(8), and it is not portable
between various UN*X flavors.

Does anyone have a version of TAR that will automatically split data among
multiple tapes, or maybe a front-end program that will do the splitting up for
you and then invoke TAR?  The machines involved all run BSD look-alikes
(More/BSD, OSx4.4, UTX32, SunOS).  I thought I'd better ask before sitting
down and writing something.  Any pointers/information are appreciated.

--curtis
(Note: please let's not start another CPIO vs DUMP vs TAR debate)
---
Curtis C. Generous
DTIC Special Projects Office (DTIC-SPO)
ARPA: generous at daitc.mil
UUCP: {uunet,vrdxhq,lll-tis}!daitc!generous