How can a login script determine if the session is remotely logged in?

Seth Robertson seth at ctr.columbia.edu
Sun Jul 23 08:25:52 AEST 1989

In article <1448 at tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US> rtm at tellab5.UUCP (Roberto Michelassi) writes:

>I am currently a ksh user running on a Sun 3/60 with SunOS 4.0 and would like
>to add a feature to my .profile or .kshrc file that would update the tool
>header of the window to display the message "RLOGIN" when I remotely log into
>another machine.

Nothing easier!!!

(Of course I can't tell whether it is telnet or rlogin...)

: {$tty:=`tty`}
: {$pty:=`basename $tty`}

##
# Is this a pty (e.g. not console, dialup, or serial port

if echo $pty | grep ttyp > /dev/null 2>&1  ## Note Yuck!  Echo|grep??
## Also, if you have lots of ptys, you will need to search for
## more pseudo terminals than ttyp (e.g. ttyr ttys, etc.)

 then
# Is this a login shell? (e.g. not su, not suntools, not emacs)
  if basename $0 | grep -e "-ksh" > /dev/null 2>&1  ## Less yucky than before
   then
    echo This is a a remote session.
    echo That is because is on a pseudo-terminal and was started
    echo by login.  \(But not necessarily a rlogin\)
   fi
 fi

I even tested it!!! (Wow, can get better service that that!!! :-) :-)

--
					-Seth Robertson
					 seth at ctr.columbia.edu