rcs exit status

Beth Miaoulis beth at cayman.COM
Sat Jul 29 05:47:27 AEST 1989

Hello,

I am writing some csh scripts which use the rcs system to control our
software development and I ran into something which reflects either a
misunderstanding on my part or a bug in rcs.c (rev 4).

I was expecting the rcs command to have a non-zero exit status if it
failed because the last RCS file specified does not exist.  In rcs.c
it seems that a 0 return from pairfilenames, will allow the for-each-file do
loop to continue, yet will mask any error returned.

Is this how things are supposed to work?  If so, any suggestions for
how I can detect if rcs fails without reading stdout?

Thank you,
	Beth Miaoulis

P.S. Where's the best place to send rcs questions?  Does
Walter Tichy still care?
--
-----
Beth Miaoulis (beth at cayman.com)