ksh and sh

William Davidsen davidsen at sungod.crd.ge.com
Tue Jul 11 23:18:30 AEST 1989

In article <372 at trevan.UUCP> trevor at trevan.UUCP (trevor) writes:

| 	Using Microport System V/AT and the korn shell for logins
| I have found if I execute /bin/sh and then execute pwd I get an
| error message pwd: cannot read .. . I suspect it is something to do with
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	What are the permissions on the parent directory? May very well
be a legitimate problem (although a new one to me).

| 	Is there anything wrong in changing the name of ksh to sh or
| is there any incompatability.

  I think you will find that certain shell scripts won't work. I can't
remember if it was 'style' or some other text package, but it use "^"
instead of "|" for pipes. Keep /bin/sh handy by another name if you
rename. I just run ksh as login and leave sh as it came.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen