Interactive 386/xi and Wangtek tape drive

Brian Litzinger brian at apt.UUCP
Sat Jul 1 20:16:47 AEST 1989

I have a 25Mhz 386 system running Interactive 386/ix Unix.
I recently installed a Wangtec QIC-36 controller and tape
unit.  I also installed the wangtec driver that came with
my Interactive Unix system.

Unfortunately, it is unbelievably slow....

It works, just so slowly..........

Basically it seems to being going back and forth, back and forth
advancing just a little bit each forth.

I've used cat, cpio, and afio and it performs just as poorly no
matter who supplies the data.

What did I do wrong? Did I simply not spend enough money?
This same controller in a Microport system is what I would
call good and fast.

On both systems I tried to take advantage of the Microport
strm utility to speed things up.