grep

Michael Stanley jms at hcx.uucp
Sun Jul 23 06:50:18 AEST 1989

In article <4750023 at hpirs.HP.COM>, runyan at hpirs.HP.COM (Mark Runyan) writes:

> From _The_Unix_Programming_Environment_ by Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike:
>
> p 18
>
> "...The name cames from the ed command g/regular-expression/p,..."
>
> This may not be the right answer, but it *is* documented.  :-)

I submitted this response a week and a half ago with the comment that I
had read it in an old unix manual.  I asked for confirmation, but apparently
'those who know' and keep telling us not to be foolish with guesses either
didn't deign to let us in on the answer, or they themselves don't really
know.  Personally, I agree with this answer.  It now has the credit of
being documented in *two* places.

	Michael Stanley
	jms at hcx.uucp