High speed serial line input on Sun-3 (help)

Speaker-To-Animals dave at moncam.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 20:19:09 AEST 1989

I sent this to comp.sys.sun last week but it hasn't appeared yet and
it's getting more urgent.

We need to be able to read a ) reliable stream of 8-bit data from a
serial line into a Sun-3 without using any error-free protocols - we want to
use hardware handshaking.  Sun tech support say that hardware handshake is
only supported in the other direction.  An unsupported product - exact nature
unknown - is available from Sun consulting services for about 700 pounds.
Does anyone know of any cheap solutions?

I really think this should be supported in the standard product.  Is this
expected in 4.1?

Dave Allen
Monotype International ADG
Science Park