A Quiet KILL

Jim Olsen olsen at XN.LL.MIT.EDU
Sat Jul 29 00:53:47 AEST 1989

In article <2317 at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> @aplvax.jhuapl.edu:jwm at stdb.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) writes:

>Is there a way to run rrn such that it will go through the KILL files for all
>the groups non-interactively, saving the interactive process for the stuff
>I want to look at?  I am open for a script, options,programs,...

Here's a script I wrote to do just that.  You can run it in background,
but you must wait for it to finish before trying to read your news.

#!/bin/sh
# (if these # comments bother your system, strip them out)
#
# rnkill - shell script to apply rn KILL files in background
# Jim Olsen  - 14 Mar 89
#

# Visit all newsgroups (if rn asks about anything else, just say no)
export RNMACRO RNINIT
RNINIT='-s -T -t'
RNMACRO=/tmp/rnkill$$
trap 'rm -f $RNMACRO; exit' 1 2 3 15