cpio archive damaged -- help!

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Tue Jul 11 17:05:28 AEST 1989

In article <20173 at adm.BRL.MIL> WIESEL%DKAUNI0P.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu (Joachim Wiesel) writes:
|>Hi,
|>
|>does anyone know, how to recover from a:
|>
|>cpio: ERROR: out of sync bad header/magic number
|>      restore aborted.
|>
|>This happens on an AT386 machine running Interactive's 386/ix 2.0.1 Unix
|>on the third of 18 Floppies.
|>Someone an idea how I can read at least the rest of this ?
|>Any help welcome.
|>Joachim

If your cpio is based on SVR3.1 and above, you should have the -k option.
-k will skip over corrupt header information and search for the new
header to sync up with.  See your manual pages for more information on
it's usage.  Or if this isn't available get yourself a copy of the afio(1)
program that was posted to comp.sources.unix a while back...

# cpio -icduvmk -I /dev/dsk/f0

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576