Is there an AWK debugger?

John Lacey lacey at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Wed Jul 12 05:35:10 AEST 1989

I'm developing an application using AWK.  The programs involved
are getting to be fairly substantial (several hundred lines, up to
6 or 7 files being read and written to), and I was wondering if
anyone has ever seen, heard of, written, or used an AWK debugger.

I am using both gawk 2.10 and the original AWK (1977).

What does a debugger look like for an interpreted language?  Is it
possible to add one on to an existing interpreter, or am I going to
have to hack at gawk in order to get what I want?

I know, a lot of you are going to say ``Why are you using AWK?''
Because it's a convenient development language, and in this case
I can make good use of the pattern matching.  If I need a faster
application when I finish, I will recode it in C.

John Lacey           |  Internet:  lacey at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
running unattached   |  BITnet:    lacey at crnlthry
                     |  UUCP:      cornell!batcomputer!lacey
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent."  ---Wittgenstein