Lower user's (not process') priority

Mikel Lechner mikel at teraida.UUCP
Wed Jul 26 07:01:28 AEST 1989

root at yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) writes:

>I would like to be able to renice *all* processses from
>user TrivialPerson to about 19 or 20, and make mine all
>about -19 or -20.
>Can this be done?
>How?

Yes.  Try "renice +20 -u user".  This changes for all processes for the
specified user.  Also, since my machine is sometimes used for compilations
accross the network, I sometime "renice +20 <pid of inetd>".  This causes
"rsh" commands to run at the lower priority.  However, "rlogin" resets
its priority back to 0 when someone logs in over the network, so this
wont work for lowering priority of remote logins.

Mikel Lechner			UUCP:  ...!{decwrl,sun}!teraida!mikel
Teradyne EDA, Inc.		Phone: (408) 980-5200
5155 Old Ironsides Drive
Santa Clara, Ca 95054