Followup to: UPS initiated autoshutdown

Charles A. Sefranek cals at cals01.NEWPORT.RI.US
Wed Jul 19 11:55:37 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jul9.193016.9426 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>In article <216 at tnl.UUCP> norstar at tnl.UUCP (Daniel Ray) writes:
>>
>>Hi. A few weeks ago I posted an article here asking about a daemon that would
>>sense a power failure and initiate an automatic shutdown within a controllable
>>period of time. This would be used in conjunction with an uninterruptable
>>power supply (battery backup) so the system could be brought down cleanly
>>while power was still available thru the UPS.  ...

Something about this always bothered me -- is there any way to tell the UPS
to turn off after the computer has been shutdown cleanly?  It seems a shame
to run the UPS battery into the ground during a prolonged power outage,
especially if the computer could be safely powered down at that point. This
assumes of course that everything is unattended, like at 2:00 AM on a cold
winter day with three feet of fresh snow covering your driveway.. :-)

 Charlie Sefranek	cals at cals01.NEWPORT.RI.US
UUCP: {rayssd,xanth,lazlo,mirror}!galaxia!cals01!cals
Alt.: c4s at rayssdb.ray.com {sun,decuac,gatech,necntc,ukma}!rayssd!rayssdb!c4s