backup procedure for Unix systems in NFS configuration...

52.bitnet 52.bitnet
Sat Jul 29 01:12:06 AEST 1989

Hi folks,

        In Utrecht, the Faculty of Arts, we have about 16 Unix/Ultrix
systems, some with local date-disks, connected in a NFS configuration.  On
one system (a DECstation 3100) we (will) have a exabyte 8mm 2.3 Gbyte tape
subsystem for dumping data.

Please, without starting a new tar <--> cpio <--> dump war, I have two
questions:
        - What is the "best" way to perform a complete and/or a incremental
          dump of the disk's connected in the NFS network to the tape
          subsystem. (all on one tape!)
        - I like to have a procedure (shell script in crontab) for performing
          a daily incremental backup and weekly a complete backup to the
          tape-subsystem.  does such a procedure exist, and can someone send
          it to me.

Thanks in advance,
Henny

E-Mail: henny at hutruu52                EARN/BITnet    ! Disclaimer:
        ruulif::henny                 SURFnet        !    The main obstacle to
        ..mcvax!accumv!ruuatw!henny   UUCP           !    progress is not
        013401480620::henny           PSI            !    ignorance, but the
Voice:  (31) (30) 392077                             !    illusion of knowledge
Paper:  H.J.Bekker
        State University of Utrecht, Faculty of Arts
        Trans 10   3512 JK   Utrecht  Nederland