at files and permissions

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Fri Jul 7 10:54:13 AEST 1989

In article <228 at arnor.UUCP> uri at arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:
[ objecting to my recommendation "when you discuss a security problem
that is specific to System V, please be sure to say so clearly, else
you may confuse naive users." ]

>First of all, not everybody familiar with System V, knows exactly which
>features of BSD (and what version!) it has or has not. So, for example,
>I didn't know that you can do "chown" only being root...

The problem is easily solved.  Don't say (or even imply) "UNIX" at all
unless you are sure you are making a general statement.  Just mention
specifically what operating system and revision level you are
discussing (e.g. "System V Release 3" or "4.3BSD").
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi