Backup motivation (Was: Need HELP recovering files from tar damage)

Lars Tunkrans lars at iclswe.UUCP
Thu Jul 20 03:47:59 AEST 1989

In a pervious article Dick Gill wrote:

>When we have clients who REALLY need the data on a backup tape
>(disc crash, major upgrade, etc.), the first thing we instruct
>them to do is to turn the arrow to SAFE on the backup casettes.
>It takes no time, and offers protection against the unfortunate
>slip of the finger which can wipe out your safety net in a
>second.

Yes this is what we ( in suppliers support teams ) always tell people
, but still I always get that horrid phonecall with the poor client in
the other end clutching for the last straw, asking " Isn't there any way
I can recover this or that data ? " Most of the time I have to disappoint
him/her.

How do you guys make people do their bakups ?

"Against stupidity even the gods fight in vain " -- unknown.

--
//     /////  ///     | Lars Tunkrans  Distributed Resource Systems support.
 //  ///      ///     | UUCP: {uunet,mcvax,munnari,cernvax,diku,inria,prlb2,tut