Re^4: vi case-change question

Maarten Litmaath maart at cs.vu.nl
Tue Jul 11 05:42:29 AEST 1989

wk at hpirs.HP.COM (Wayne Krone) writes:
\> \In addition to Bo's suggestions, HP-UX vi for releases s800 3.0 and
\> \s300 6.5 or later has been modified to accept a count before the "~"
\> \operator.  So for your example the command "99~" would do what you
\> \want.
\>
\> What you REALLY want is `~' to become an operator, so you can say things
\> like
\>
\> 	~3w
\
\I thought about doing this but it would mean a single `~' would not
\have the effect it now does.  To get the same behavior a user would
\have to enter "~l" or perhaps "~~".

So what? On the other hand a new operator could be introduced to do the job,
say `*', and `~' could be a shorthand for `*l', but I say: let `~' itself be
that operator - it's easy to get used to and won't break anything but some
perverted macros, which should never have been necessary in the first place.
--
   "... a lap-top Cray-2 with builtin    |Maarten Litmaath @ VU Amsterdam:
cold fusion power supply"  (Colin Dente) |maart at cs.vu.nl, mcvax!botter!maart