Followup to: UPS initiated autoshutdown

Brad Morrison morrison at ficc.uu.net
Thu Jul 20 23:00:56 AEST 1989

In article <462 at cals01.NEWPORT.RI.US>, cals at cals01.NEWPORT.RI.US (Charles A. Sefranek) writes:

> . . . is there any way to tell the UPS
> to turn off after the computer has been shutdown cleanly?  It seems a shame
> to run the UPS battery into the ground during a prolonged power outage,
> especially if the computer could be safely powered down at that point. This
> assumes of course that everything is unattended . . .

Hopefully, your UPS will have such a feature.  We use BEST's
Micro-FERRUPSs, which provide several commands for different types of
timed shutdowns.  You just tell the UPS to shut down in, say, two minutes,
then shut down all systems connected to the UPS (in a fashion that will
take less than two minutes.  :-)

Another consideration is whether your UPS will restart itself when power
returns, and in which cases.  What if power returns before the two minutes
is up?  What if power returns after everything has been shut down, and your
UPS gives AC to every connected device, but the resulting power surge
causes insufficient AC to be delivered to one or more of the devices, which
is highly sensitive in this respect . . . some UPSs which support timed
shutdowns don't support configurable restarts.
--
"Caution:  Cutting edge is sharp.| Brad Morrison                (713) 274-5449
           Avoid contact."       | Ferranti International Controls Corporation
                -- Handi Wrap box| uunet!ficc!morrison    morrison at ficc.uu.net