How do I deal with (null) filenames?

Dr. William B. Busa bio_zwbb at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Thu Jul 27 05:34:43 AEST 1989

I am using some software which has a horrible bug -- it generates data
files which have null names; for instance, ls will list these files as
(null).001
(null).002
(null).003
etc. These truly are nulls -- in an alphabetical directory listing,
they are listed *before* . and ..!

My question is this: how can I change these to manageable filenames? I
realize that I can address these files as *.001, etc., but this does not
solve my problem, because there will be lots of well-formed file names
matching the pattern in the same directory. I think I need a solution
which will specifically address nulls. Any suggestions?

Dr. William B. Busa
Dept. of Biology
The Johns Hopkins University
(301) 338-8207