'peeking' in on a pipe

Mike Van Pelt mvp at v7fs1.UUCP
Tue Jul 11 06:01:09 AEST 1989

>Tim.Evans at f112.n138.z1.WA.COM (Tim Evans) writes:
>I would like to 'peek' in on a pipe, to see what is happening in it, WHILE
>IT EXECUTES. I tried something like this, but no luck:
>
>  some_stuff | tee `tty` | more_stuff

Here's what I do -- I'm assuming you want to just peek in on it
from time to time, not look at the whole thing.

some_stuff | tee bletch | more stuff

Then, if I want to check in on what's going through the tee
I just tail bletch,  or, if I want to monitor it for a while,
tail -f bletch.

--
Mike Van Pelt                     "I'm not a biologist, but I play one in
Headland Technology/Video 7        front of Congressional hearings."