ksh and sh

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.masa.com
Fri Jul 28 05:29:18 AEST 1989

hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu  writes:

>rjd at occrsh.UUCP (Randy_Davis) says that if you use ksh as sh, "at"
>won't work.  It works for me.  I'm using ksh-i 06/03/86a with System V
>release 2 (Microport) on an AT clone.  ksh is /bin/sh.  I've not run
>into any problems with system software when using ksh as sh.  However
>mine is a single-user system, so I certainly don't see every possible
>task.

Try running any shell script which uses a caret (^) as the pipe symbol,
rather than a vertical bar (|).  Ksh does not recognize the old
/bin/sh pipe notation, while several Unix suppliers still distribute versions
of /etc/wall, /usr/bin/spell and other script=based utilities, which use ^
as the pipe symbol.