How to determine file being redirected to in C

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Mon Mar 6 22:52:40 AEST 1989

In article <1121 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
>I don't know about the RFS version; life gets more complicated with RFS,
>since, as I remember, if you mount an RFS file system you also end up
>mounting all the file systems mounted on directories in that file
>system.

As I said, the problem looms..

One practical stopgap solution is to include a system ID in the dev_t
(say, the upper half of the datum).  The system ID needs to be unique
across the network.  Given networks such as the Internet with 32-bit
host addresses, one wonders where there's going to be room in dev_t
to store the host identifier.  For the time being a pool of host
addresses can be maintained and the pool index used locally in the
dev_t to identify the site.

(dev_t,ino_t) is just not big enough.  I think we'd better start
phasing in object handles in place of (dev_t,ino_t) at the application
level, before it's too late.