Login Attempts

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Tue Mar 14 07:32:57 AEST 1989

 >>On the VMS system I work on, there is a line that shows up when
 >>you login telling how many failed login attempts have been made on
 >>your account since the last successful login.
 >
 >    Has anyone created this utility for UNIX?

I tend to expect that nobody has, since no version of UNIX I know of
keeps track of the number of failed login attempts made on an account.
You'd have to replace "login" in order to do that; I seem to remember
somebody doing a publicly-available reimplementation of "login", but I
don't know whether it can replace the versions of "login" on all the
systems you mention or, say, just the ones on systems with S5-based
implementations of "login".