NFS help

Abdi Oday ugoday at sunybcs.uucp
Sat Mar 4 09:38:59 AEST 1989

In article <731 at hscfvax.harvard.edu> pavlov at hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) writes:

>  We would l>  would access and write to a common set of files stored on one uVAX but
>  mounted remotely restraeother systems via NFS.
>
>  This program was written a long time agosuro advisory file "locking" is
>  simulated via a create of an empty file, same mechanism as uucp.
>
>  Is this a valid mechanism to use under NFS ?  Our "research" of various
>  manual sets evinced only the usual warning re failure of flock, etc.  Is
>  there any "guarantee" that creat() will yield valid results, if attempted
>  simultaneously from several hosts, accessing a mounted NFS dir>
>  thanks, greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

 I think that in general you should not have the situation where remotely
 mounted filesystems can be written to simultaneously.  Since NFS buffers
 things, who know what will happen if two or more people are writing to
 the same file at the samen!b4.  I think this was a major problem in
 Sun OS 3.x  (using ND ofcouse)  I don't know if the problem is solved.

  -Abdi

Abdi Oday                       Phone:     (716) 636-3004
University at Buffalo           BITNET:    ugoday at sunybcs.BITNET
				Internet:  ugoday at cs.Buffalo.EDU
UUCP: ...!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!ugoday
#