vi-like editor for the IBM PC

Roger A. Cornelius rac at sherpa.UUCP
Sat Mar 4 06:55:15 AEST 1989

>From article <7374 at killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, by wnp at killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul):
- In article <776 at microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp at microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
->ked at garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) wrote:
->> MKS (Mortice Kern Systems)
-
->compress
->uncompress
->zcat
-
- Unfortunately these handle only 12-bit compression and can't handle
- UNIX-compressed files (usually 16-bit)

If I remember correctly, the MKS compress programs will handle up to 14
bit compression.  One thing I don't like about them though, is they
won't compress/decompress in place.  They only write to stdout, so to
do something like 'compress -d *.c', requires a for loop or something
similar.

Roger