Hiding stuff

Dennis G. Rears FSAC drears at PICA.ARMY.MIL
Tue Mar 14 02:35:30 AEST 1989

Brian "I don't need a life" Charlton <brian at dekalb.uucp>  writes:

>	How do I hide what I doing,specifically,when someone envokes a
>w,who,top,finger,ps,lastcom,etc...,it doesn't show what I doing.

   My favourite way is to "rsh hostname /bin/csh".  I then source
.login.  BY doing it this way I don't appear in utmp or wtmp, hence
w, who, finger, lastcom can't catch me.  Ps, and top can catch me
however.  Then I use the command "ch realcmd arguments" to run any
program.  Ch basically puts spaces into argv[0].  This will hide it
from ps and top.

Dennis
			Dennis G. Rears
ARPA: drears at ac4.pica.army.mil   UUCP:  ...!uunet!ac4.pica.army.mil!drears
AT&T: 201-724-6639		 USPS:	Box 210, Wharton, NJ 07885
Work: SMCAR-FSS-E, Bldg 94, Picatinny Ars, NJ 07806