vi-like editor for the IBM PC

Colin Plumb w-colinp at microsoft.UUCP
Thu Mar 2 19:15:05 AEST 1989

saal@/doc/dsg/saalUUCP (xt1124-+Saal S.) wrote:
> How does this vi deal with the ".exrc" file?
> I assume there is a variable you can set somewhere
> that sets the name?

"EDITOR INITIALIZATION

     At editor startup time, any initialization code is executed.  These
are EX commands located either in the environment or in a file.  If the en-
vironment variable EXINIT is found it is executed.  Otherwise the file
ex.rc is sourced.  It is sought under the current directory, then under
the directory goven in the HOME environmant variable if that variable
exists; then under the root (ROOTDIR or "/").  See environ(5) for
more information on these environmant variables.

LIMITS

    * Maximum number of lines: 50K (50 * 1024).
    * Length of longest line: 1K (1024) bytes including \r\n.
    * Longest command line: 160 bytes
    * Length of filenames: 128 bytes
    * Length of remembered regular expressions: 256 bytes
    * Number of map, map! or abbreviate entries: 64 each.
    * Number of saved keystrokes for ".' in VI: 128.
    * Length of the lhs of map, map! or abbreviate: 10 bytes.
    * Max number of characters in a tag name: 30.
    * Number of characters in a ":" escape from VI: 128.
    * Number of characters in the global command: 256 including newlines.
    * Requires 128K of memory plus the set option maxbuffers K of auxilli-
      ary memory.  Auxilliary memory is freed during ctrl-Z, :stop, :! :w!,
      .,.!, and :r! commands.  During startup, maxbuffers is changes
      to reflect available memory; at least 32K is required."

By the way, :set scrupdate=1 currently speeds things up a lot.  It's
considered a bug that this is necessary, and will eventually get fixed.
(It doesn't work on some systems, and the detection logic is currently
mixed up.)
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do." - The Doctor