UNIX prompts (-ksh)

Hans Jespersen hjespers at vpk4.UUCP
Tue Mar 28 05:21:35 AEST 1989

In article <4896 at pbhyf.PacBell.COM> rob at PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>In article <4549 at vpk4.UUCP> hjespers at attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) writes:

>>Absolutely correct. I think Tom ment
>>	export PS1=`$PWD> `

>Absolutely wrong. :-) The above will set PS1 to be your current working
>directory ***at the time it was set***. It will not change from command
>to command no matter how much you "cd". On the other hand, the following:
>	export PS1='$PWD> '

Opps. I guess I just made an _Absolute_ fool of myself. The correct
version is of course (export PS1='$PWD> ') or (export PS1="$PWD> ").
You see my .kshrc has (export PS1=`uname`'$PWD> ') and unlike pwd
uname generally never changes ;-)

My apologies for confusing the issue, it's just that I've seen
this topic go by so many times that I don't give it any thought
anymore.

BTW. Is anyone working on a monthly/bi-weekly posting of "answers
to most frequently asked questions". If not, I will gladly
volunteer (and I promise to get it right this time ;-)

--
Hans Jespersen                UUCP: uunet!attcan!hjespers
AT&T Canada Inc.                or     ..!attcan!nebulus!arakis!hans

"Yabba Dabba Doo" -- F. Flintstone