Need help with password aging

Joe Niederberger jgn at nvuxr.UUCP
Wed Mar 22 00:32:21 AEST 1989

In article <9059 at alice.UUCP> ark at alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>In article <179 at camdev.UUCP>, sscott at camdev.UUCP (Steve Scott) writes:
>
>> As a major security overhaul within my company, the issue of password aging
>> has raised its head.  So, I am in need of advice on how to implement such.
>
>It is far from clear to me that password aging accomplishes much.
>Its usual effect is to cause people to toggle between two similar
>passwords.  I don't believe for an instant that such toggling
>will make passwords any harder to guess, break, or acquire.

It seems to me that the next logical step would be to force the user
to invent totally new passwords (relative to his/herself of course)
at each password change. But then, wouldn't the effect be to
exacerbate the existing tendency of users to choose easily remembered
passwords, which themselves present a security risk ? Does anybody
have any statistical evidence that forcing password changes actually
enhances security ?

Joe Niederberger